How to Quit Smoking: 10 Tips
Some common symptoms of tobacco's withdrawal are low energy, anxiety, and a depressed cognitive function. However, diet, nutrients, behavioral changes, and exercise can mitigate those effects. Here you have 10 tips to help you during this process:
1. NUTRITION AND SUPPLEMENTATION
- TAKE A MULTIVITAMIN: Raise your energy levels with a high-quality multivitamin. Also, smokers measure low levels of B-complex, vitamin C, vitamin E, selenium and zinc.
- TRYPTOPHAN RICH FOODS: This amino acid has been proved to lower anxiety and other withdrawal symptoms. Chicken, turkey, eggs, cheese, fish, peanuts, pumpkin, sesame seeds, and chocolate are high in tryptophan.
- CONSUME GOOD QUALITY CARBOHYDRATES: Healthy carbs have also been proven helpful with withdrawal symptoms. Bananas, sweep potatoes, pumpkin, yams, buckwheat, and quinoa are some good choices.
2. USE CBD
There is some evidence that the use of CBD, a non-psychoactive constituent of cannabis, is useful for helping with the withdrawal symptoms. Smoking CBD oil with an electrical cigarette could be a good first transition, as it will help with the behavioral components of smoking.
3. COGNITIVE BEHAVIORAL THERAPY (CBT)
CBT helps to identify triggers and teaches relapse-prevention skills, relaxation techniques and effective coping strategies to avoid smoking in the face of stressful situations and triggers.
4. MINDFULNESS AND MEDITATION
These techniques can help you greatly to relax, improve awareness, and change mental and behavioral smoking patterns.
5. SELF-HELP BOOKS
Books about quitting an addiction can help you to understand the mental and physical processes going on in your body during the withdrawal phase and help you to prevent relapses. For example, the famous Allen Carr's "Easy Way to Stop Smoking" is a self-help classic, with over 20 million copies sold worldwide.
Walking, running, or swimming to the point of breathing heavily helps to manage anxiety, decrease dissociation, and satisfy the urge to inhale.
Sweating in a sauna or steam room can be useful to support detoxification and excretion of waste.
8. FAMILY AND FRIENDS SUPPORT
Social support is especially important during this process. Tell your loved ones about your intentions to quit smoking and ask them for their help and emotional support.
9. TREAT YOURSELF
Reward yourself for your efforts with a nice movie, a gift, or a nice meal. You deserve it!
10. BE KIND TO YOURSELF
Your journey can be difficult
and bumpy, but don't be discouraged. Don't compare yourself with others, and don't
beat yourself up if you have a relapse. You will get there!
Let me help you to create a nutritional and lifestyle plan to achieve your health goals.